Skip to main content

Week 14 Story Lab: Just the Language

I really liked reading  Just the Language article. I think it's a truly fascinating and yet concise article, full of writing tips and wisdom. Like it was mentioned in the article, writers really don't know where the writings are going to take them when they start writing: "they find it peculiar that for my novels I need to know, and I need to know not just the ending, but every significant event in the main characters’ lives." It is so true, but it is difficult to know all that farther ahead as a writer. Certainly, I've had difficulty in recognizing and being aware of every significant event in the main characters' lives because I'm usually busy constructing the overall plots and characters' personalities.


Wow.. This truly is a conscientious way of writing a story from the beginning: "When I finally write the first sentence, I want to know everything that happens, so that I am not inventing the story as I write it." I think this kind of attitude can truly set the tone of a well-aware and caring writer who takes a deep look into the characters and stories.

I think this is kind of a way of retrospection: "I am not inventing the story as I write it; rather, I am remembering a story that has already happened."This is a working backwards, in my opinion, from the end of the story to where it all began from a viewpoint of bird's eye. The author can see everything in the story in this fascinating way.

"The invention is over by the time I begin." It's an intuitive sense of coming up with a clever way of writing. Intuitively, the writer can imagine the whole story, plot, and characters in their head and start writing all the things they imagined.

"All I want to be thinking of is the language—the sentence I am writing, and the sentence that follows it. Just the language." This is a powerful message and it sends a strong signal that the writer already has full grasp of characters, plots, and stories in their mind.

It was an interesting and helpful article, and I feel my writing will be so much improved after reading this article.




Introspective writing. Source: Introspective man

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Peter the Real Estate Agent

Hi guys! I'm Peter, and I'm an OU student. I'm a junior, and I'm majoring in Communication. I believe I'm a very honest person, so I'm going to tell you why I chose to major in Communication. I honestly chose to do this major because I thought Communication would be a relative easy major. Nevertheless, it turns out that it is not! Some professors are tough and demanding, and there are lots of heavy reading, intensive writing, and several exams that I need to complete to earn an OU Communication degree. I still think Communication is a pretty cool major because I get to learn about many interesting effective communication theories. Because my major belongs to the College of Arts and Sciences, it has heavier emphasis on theory and research more than practice and application. Honestly, I don't really remember a "cool class" that I took last semester (I don't think I had any). Nonetheless, these classes, Myth Folklore and Indian Epics, ar

Comment Wall

Link to my Portfolio                                         Skyline of Seoul. Source:  Seoul Skyline

Week 8 Progress

I'm certainly not happy with my progress so far. To be honest, I'm in a serious crisis. I have been lagging behind this class since like Week 3 and it had been continuing until last week. That was almost a month worth of missing several assignments and lagging behind in class. I really need to catch up and earn more points by finishing regular assignments on time and doing more extra credit assignments, starting with this Week 8. Otherwise, I'm on ground for failure. Nevertheless, I'm very proud of my truly unique and creative stories. I look them back, read, and re-read the stories I have created, and I'm happy and satisfied every time I read my unique, creative, and authentic stories. I had a good weekly routine up until about Week 2, but I have been lacking from having a good weekly routine. I'm bringing it back to get more assignments done. The kind of assignment that I enjoy the most in this class is story assignments. I'm an extraordinarily cr