Skip to main content

The Grateful Beasts and the Ungrateful Prince

I'm always been fond of reading Jataka tales. In fact, these collections of Jataka tales have been my favorite kind of reading for this semester because their plots are very interesting with lots of suspense and rich visual details. I've read a lot of Jataka tales about monkeys and other animals. A story written about an ungrateful prince and beasts, I thought, would be amazing to read. So I read the amazing story of ungrateful prince and grateful beasts. It was unlike any other Jataka tales, in that it was longer and more complicated than the ones I've read before. But with richer plots and characters, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this amazing story.


The story began with the King's son, who was cruel, disagreeable, and hurtful: "this son was so cruel and disagreeable, that he took a delight in hurting people, and never spoke to anybody without an oath or a blow." It sounded like a truly intense character with lots of bad personality elements.

I also like how the story narrated the prince so eloquently: "He was a thorn in the flesh to everybody he came across; he was like grit in the porridge, like a fly in the eye, like a stone in the shoon. And they called him the Wicked Prince." I could tell what kind of crook the prince was reading from this description.

The prince went to take a bath despite the storm: "However, this Prince was obstinate, and would not give up his bathe; and as he was too lazy even to bathe himself, he swore at his servants, and said: “You lazy beasts! Bathe me, and look sharp about it, or I’ll tickle you with a cat-o’-nine-tails!”

When I read this line, I was like, 'this guy is really nasty.' No wonder why his name is "ungrateful prince."

The servants had enough this the bully and decided to pitch him into the river. Wow.. This prince was really bad: "if the King finds us out, and puts us to death—anyhow, death is better than his eternal bullying.” It's an intense statement made by the servants. Death is better than being bullied?


The servants told King that the prince was carried away by the current. Yet he survived by grabbing a tree while flooded away. There he met the villains like him: " Snake was, and the Rat, and the Wicked Prince; and so there were four of them on the tree, floating down the river."

The hermit was benevolent: "Then he got the four creatures off it, and took them into his hut, and dried them and warmed them by the fire"

The Wicked Prince, being wicked, was jealous that the hermit tended him at last after the other creatures. Snake and rat offered the hermit his riches.

And parrot thanked the hermit greatly although she had no money.

The wicked prince, on the other hand, hated the hermit because he was tended at last.

Hermit had all the life experiences, so he knew that people don't do what they say they are going to do.


He went on a journey to Wicked Prince's castle. What a bad dude is this:  “Aha! here’s that rascal that left me to the last. Wants me to pay him for it, I suppose! Well, I’ll pay him! I’ll pay him out!”

The servants were angry and took the wicked prince down and made the hermit become the king instead. 

The new king went to snake, rat, and parrot's places and gave their gifts to the servants.

I think this amazing story teaches an important lesson: remember the person who saved your life and be grateful.


Ungrateful Prince. Source: ungrateful prince faces death


Bibliography:


 Tales from Old India by W. H. D. Rouse with illustrations by W. Robinson



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Peter the Real Estate Agent

Hi guys! I'm Peter, and I'm an OU student. I'm a junior, and I'm majoring in Communication. I believe I'm a very honest person, so I'm going to tell you why I chose to major in Communication. I honestly chose to do this major because I thought Communication would be a relative easy major. Nevertheless, it turns out that it is not! Some professors are tough and demanding, and there are lots of heavy reading, intensive writing, and several exams that I need to complete to earn an OU Communication degree. I still think Communication is a pretty cool major because I get to learn about many interesting effective communication theories. Because my major belongs to the College of Arts and Sciences, it has heavier emphasis on theory and research more than practice and application. Honestly, I don't really remember a "cool class" that I took last semester (I don't think I had any). Nonetheless, these classes, Myth Folklore and Indian Epics, ar

Comment Wall

Link to my Portfolio                                         Skyline of Seoul. Source:  Seoul Skyline

Week 8 Progress

I'm certainly not happy with my progress so far. To be honest, I'm in a serious crisis. I have been lagging behind this class since like Week 3 and it had been continuing until last week. That was almost a month worth of missing several assignments and lagging behind in class. I really need to catch up and earn more points by finishing regular assignments on time and doing more extra credit assignments, starting with this Week 8. Otherwise, I'm on ground for failure. Nevertheless, I'm very proud of my truly unique and creative stories. I look them back, read, and re-read the stories I have created, and I'm happy and satisfied every time I read my unique, creative, and authentic stories. I had a good weekly routine up until about Week 2, but I have been lacking from having a good weekly routine. I'm bringing it back to get more assignments done. The kind of assignment that I enjoy the most in this class is story assignments. I'm an extraordinarily cr