Skip to main content

Week 15 Story Lab: All About Parts Of Speech

I've searched through and read several articles in Writers Write website. One article that really caught my attention was "All About Parts Of Speech" This article caught my attention because I am not so good at constructing beautiful and complete sentences. It's an amazing article that teaches how to make good sentences, and thus a better story. I'm not a big fan of grammar, but I know it's critically important to become a good writer. Unless I speak and write with a correct, proper grammar, people including my readers won't take my stories seriously.


I believe my grammar and syntax became really bad partly due to social media and texting. I'm on Facebook almost all the time and texts other friends whenever I find myself have time. Speed is incredibly important in this kind of 'light-hearted' endeavor, so I haven't got used to writing properly. I love this article that talks about the importance of writing properly.

It talks about the parts of speech and it breaks down to analyze. This article tells what those are, and describes their importance. It describes that parts of speech are basically categories of words that are classified based on their function.


A part of speech is often known as word class. It was all interesting. But the two parts of speech that almost immediately caught my attention were preposition and article.

I speak Korean as native language, and we don't have prepositions or articles in our language. To this day, I don't understand why English has so many of these complicated, confusing prepositions and articles. I've certainly never spoken Korean with prepositions or articles, but we've somehow communicated one another really well.

But I can tell from studying prepositions particularly that English language values time and space: "Prepositions connect nouns and pronouns with other words in a sentence. They usually give information about time, places, and direction." Prepositions can obviously put emphasis on time and space of things.

Another thing I've learned from studying articles is that it's all about general or specific. 'A' points a general object, whereas 'the' points to the very specific object that the speaker is indicating.

In my native language, we really don't speak with 'a', nor do we rarely speak 'the' to point at an object. Nonetheless, I've learned so much from learning about articles and prepositions from this amazing article.









All about parts of Speech. Source: Grammar is important

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Peter the Real Estate Agent

Hi guys! I'm Peter, and I'm an OU student. I'm a junior, and I'm majoring in Communication. I believe I'm a very honest person, so I'm going to tell you why I chose to major in Communication. I honestly chose to do this major because I thought Communication would be a relative easy major. Nevertheless, it turns out that it is not! Some professors are tough and demanding, and there are lots of heavy reading, intensive writing, and several exams that I need to complete to earn an OU Communication degree. I still think Communication is a pretty cool major because I get to learn about many interesting effective communication theories. Because my major belongs to the College of Arts and Sciences, it has heavier emphasis on theory and research more than practice and application. Honestly, I don't really remember a "cool class" that I took last semester (I don't think I had any). Nonetheless, these classes, Myth Folklore and Indian Epics, ar

Comment Wall

Link to my Portfolio                                         Skyline of Seoul. Source:  Seoul Skyline

Week 8 Progress

I'm certainly not happy with my progress so far. To be honest, I'm in a serious crisis. I have been lagging behind this class since like Week 3 and it had been continuing until last week. That was almost a month worth of missing several assignments and lagging behind in class. I really need to catch up and earn more points by finishing regular assignments on time and doing more extra credit assignments, starting with this Week 8. Otherwise, I'm on ground for failure. Nevertheless, I'm very proud of my truly unique and creative stories. I look them back, read, and re-read the stories I have created, and I'm happy and satisfied every time I read my unique, creative, and authentic stories. I had a good weekly routine up until about Week 2, but I have been lacking from having a good weekly routine. I'm bringing it back to get more assignments done. The kind of assignment that I enjoy the most in this class is story assignments. I'm an extraordinarily cr